Thursday, August 7, 2014

WHAT MAKES A DISCIPLE?

I have been pondering a big question lately, one that I know has been pondered by many before me. What are the traits of a person we perceive to be a mature follower of Jesus?

If I were answering this question twenty years ago, I would be looking at more knowledge-based answers. I think it would have to do with what a person knew. Yes, how they lived was important. But knowledge seemed to mean more than life.

Today, knowledge still seems to be a litmus test. Yet living the life of a Christ-follower seems to have its options. This troubles me. What are we as believers missing that has us pick and choose how to live a Christ-following life?

That's another big question. I believe one part of it is that each person who professes to follow Jesus really wants to pattern his or her life after Jesus. Since this is a theme of New Testament teaching, is this something we are not communicating well as an affect of the good news?

Okay, one more big question. But these questions lead me to the question I am pondering most. It's related to the first question. If I were to mentor someone in following Jesus and he or she wanted a life more aligned with the Master, Jesus, what would be good things to major on?

These are my thoughts so far...


  • Humility 
  • Service 
  • Knowing what Jesus commanded 
  • Grace 
  • Compassion 
  • A sense of God's history with people 
  • Vocation - in ministry and in life 


 Now if you were mentoring someone in the faith, what would you make sure to pass on?

No comments:

Post a Comment